Friday 28 March 2014

Fat Fingers

I spent years tying trout flies, mainly to target stocked rainbow trout. Recently however my time on the vice has been spent tying humongous pike flies or pike sized jig flies. So when I sat at my vice tonight to try and replenish my river fly box and tie some flies for the wild brown trout I discovered that a combination of poorer eyesight and fat fingers meant I really struggled - it took me a few attempts to rediscover the light touch necessary to tie a couple of my all time favourites.....the famous Klinkhammer... I think this fly tied in a range of sizes and colours can match just about every hatch! If I had to fish one fly for the rest of my life it would be this one - a brilliant design and a proven catcher all over the world.



..the trouts eye view.


This is one of my most productive mayfly imitations. Tied on a Partridge Swedish dry fly hook - it lands with the hookpoint up and will fool the wariest of fish - it's such a good representation I've had birds try to take it!"


This is how it sits on the water!


Trouts eye view.


Now to make the time to try them on the local rivers!

No comments:

Post a Comment