Saturday 25 May 2013

Home Made Jig Flies

This morning saw me making the most of the sunshine as I had a few hours to spare. I wanted to try out some jig flies tied up with trout nymph patterns. They are tied on 2g jig heads.

This is a mayfly nymph pattern that has caught some nice trout whilst fly fishing and it appears the perch like it too!


The next is a generalised 'scruffy' pattern that I've used in the past when the there is nothing in particular hatching.

The last one is tied to resemble (very loosely!) a small perch. Made from dyed grizzly cock feathers.


I had great fun and managed to catch on all three. All were small fish around 6-8oz but I'm encouraged to tie a few more of my favourite trout patterns as jig flies.
I spent some time taking photographs for the blog - hence the new title picture and background. It's early days but I'm enjoying building the blog and learning new stuff all the time. I hope to create a resource where anyone interested in finesse techniques will find answers to their questions and the chronicles of my exploits using them.

2 comments:

  1. Nice one Paul, I will look forward to dropping in once in a while and keeping up with the latest posts.atb Graeme

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to our next fish in!

    ReplyDelete