Wednesday 11 September 2013

Mixed Bag

Having caught the bass bug with the capture of my first on a recent holiday I have spent the last few weeks acquiring a dedicated bass outfit. I bought a 7' 10-35g Shimano Biomaster Rod, a second hand Shimano Aernos reel loaded with Sunline Super PE braid. I also bought a nice selection of classic hard and soft bass lures.


The very popular Xorus Patchinko is a 'walk the dog' surface lure.


Having assembled all the necessary tackle I was keen to try it out so last Sunday I drove a couple of hours to the beautiful Menai Straights which lie between mainland Wales and the island of Anglesey.


I really enjoyed getting the feel of my new outfit and learning how to work each of the different types of lures. Unfortunately the bass were either not present or not feeding though I have a lot to learn about this new branch of lure fishing.

Mid week saw me chasing perch on the water that has produced so many good fish for me over the last twelve months. The dry summer coupled with constant draw down to keep a small river flowing has resulted in the reservoir dropping some 30' which represents a huge volume of water. The surface area has probably been reduced by a third so I thought it might be easier to locate the fish. I managed to find dozens of small fish which were great fun on the ultra light tackle but the specimens I was chasing eluded me.


These small fish are scale perfect.


With heavy rain forecast for today and tomorrow I decided to grab a few hours on the river this morning.
I had a small fish on the very first cast which is usually a prelude to a poor day!


The 'first cast curse' held true and for the next couple of hours a normally productive stretch provided no action. I decided to walk a mile or two downstream to an area I have neglected which proved to be a good move as I soon had a nice fish of 4lb 8oz followed by a dozen or so fish between 2-3lb.


A good morning despite the rain. Hopefully tales of more bass to follow!


No comments:

Post a Comment