Thursday 13 February 2014

Sweet Water!

Had another early finish today which meant if I was quick I could squeeze a couple of hours in after work. So I flew home and grabbed my perch gear. The river had peaked after the storm and although still high was on its way down.
I started drop shotting and had a take in the first few casts that didn't stick  and a few nibbles so I knew at least some fish were in the area. I then had a good hook up - a good fish that managed to throw the hooks as it rolled on the surface. Things were not going well - after all the commotion I thought I'd  have a coffee - out comes the flask and cup. In my haste to get out I had remembered the sugar and hot water but...no coffee. After an hour, and still fishless, I decided to give some of the crawfish I'd bought earlier in the week from Alan at AGM a go. I'd bought two sizes, some 2 1/2'' and some 4''.

The 2 1/2''



The larger ones looked a bit big - but thought maybe it might tempt one of the clonkers. So off came the DS rig, on with a wire trace and clipped on the 4''.



 I had a couple of snatches but no hook ups and I think I was briefly attached to one of the big carp - the fish tore off at an unbelieveable speed before becoming detached -  I guess I had foul hooked it  (Some of the carp go to over 30lb and I'd love to get one of those on a lure at some point)
Having had a couple of hits and misses I thought I'd try one of the smaller ones - and again had a few hits and misses. Suddenly I latched onto something better and knew straight away it was a pike. Schoolboy error - I had the drag set to protect a 4lb fuorocarbon drop shot rig and had forgotten to tighten it up - as a consequence the fish shot off across the river and into the fast water. I quickly adjusted the drag and had the Gekkabijin hooped over. I had no idea how big it was as I've only had perch on the rod - I just felt I was seriously under-gunned! Things soon calmed down as I got the fish into some calmer water and I managed to chin it out as I'd only taken my perch sized net.
Not the greatest session I've ever enjoyed but this mint fish put a smile on my face!


No comments:

Post a Comment