Sunday 14 July 2013

Home Turf

I attended a Lure Anglers Society event on the River Ure in Yorkshire today and it was nice to see some old faces and meet some new ones. The morning started with a gaggle of anglers leaning over the bridge watching the chub in the shallow pacy water. This proved the only sighting for me as the stretch we were booked to fish the match on was deep and sluggish - not ideal for chub in the high temperatures. At the top of the stretch the water had a little flow and I had some fun for a while catching small perch before the shoal spooked and it went quiet.

 
 
I came across Mark Houghton one of the event sponsors (Mark Houghton Custom Lures-see links) doing a passable impersonation of a gnome trying to tempt some perch which were lurking at the bottom of the near side shelf.
 

 
 
I'd  taken the Ultra Light gear in the hope of some sport with the chub which were proving elusive and I'd been changing lures in the hope of finding something that might tempt them. A kopyto tempted a small jack which managed to shake free of the hooks. A few minutes later another pike a shade smaller than the first stuck on.
 
 
 
The pike were obviously feeding as quite a few had been caught and most of the anglers had had some action from the perch. I tried a few swims downstream but access to the banks was very limited and the water got progressively deeper and slower and by lunchtime I decided the prospects for the fishing probably wouldn't improve until the sun started to dip. With the match finishing at 4pm I decided to bail and drive home for a go at the chub on my home turf.
A short walk and an hours fishing provided some much needed excitement with lots of fish striking at the lure. I managed to actually land a couple of nice fish!
 
 
 
 
 
The Ure is a beautiful river and I'd love a crack at the faster water and those chub some day. Many thanks to Mark and Moonfleet Angling of Gateshead for sponsoring the event and to Roy Goddard the LAS Event Organiser for putting the event together.
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment