Sunday 28 July 2013

Fish Soup

It rained heavily overnight and the river came up 3 feet in under two hours. So knowing the river would be blown for at least 48 hrs decided after a 2 month break to have a go for perch.
Had a lazy start and arrived at my favourite swim near the bridge - slight problem - no water!...actually not strictly true, there was a slight tickle of water about two feet wide and 2'' deep. The lake has dropped 20' since my last visit in May. This is a massive lake so I thought the huge reduction in volume and shoreline might just work to my advantage, in theory it should be like fish soup!, so I moved to a different part of the lake. I was catching plenty of small fish on a 2'' shad and thought a step up in size might work so on went a 3 1/2'' fish hunter. I was still getting hits from the small fish but most weren't actually hooking up and were just briefly hanging on to the tail before letting go. About ten minutes after changing up I had a good hit followed by the heavy lunges of a better fish at 2lb 12oz.



You can see in the pic that the water would normally be 15 ' or more above my head!

No comments:

Post a Comment