Friday 18 April 2014

Taking My Medicine

 I have become obsessed with trying to catch salmon and sea trout of late and as usual whenever I get a new bug I try and read everything I can, some I absorb and use when it makes sense, some I reject. I always try to remind myself that published writers don't necessarily know what they are talking about and that the fish often don't read the right books anyway! I recently bought a book on fishing for sea trout on lures and within a few pages the author claimed that trout have poor eyesight! - having seen how they can be so selective with the smallest of food items and how tiny differences between offered flies can make a huge difference I quickly decided that my time would be better spent reading something else. I then started reading probably the most comprehensive book ever written about UK 'Sea Trout' by the late great Hugh Falkus.
This guy has caught more sea trout than anyone alive. Great writing and few pronouncements of absolutes - lots of 'I have found', 'others have found' and 'you may find differently'.
Decided to spend the afternoon tying some of his favourite flies and started with 'The Medicine' - tied on single of various sizes...



..and some on doubles..



..and some with a stinger..


It remains to see whether they will get me the big fish I'm after - but at least I have confidence in the advice!

No comments:

Post a Comment