Wednesday 26 June 2013

Feeding Time

I fished a couple of evenings after work this week and only managed one fish on each occasion and was thinking I maybe need to rest this particular stretch as maybe they were wising up to my lures. I have a couple of weeks coming up when I might struggle to get out at all so decided I'd try another early session. I was at the river by 5am to find they were feeding voraciously. I'd had one around 3lb and then lost what looked to be a really good fish when it buried itself in a raft of weed. I thought I was bringing both fish and weed in but the fish managed to shed the hooks and free itself leaving me with a football of weed! I soon got over it however as within minutes I had another just over 5lb and then one at 4lb 10oz. This was the best of the bunch at 5lb 1oz


.. and the 4lb 10oz



I went on to bag a string of fours with a few twos and threes in between.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I'd love to know what these fish would weigh at their pre-spawn maximum.

Managed to get a shot of the heron that has been keeping me company off the bridge.


 

The fishing was definitely better very early and although I caught fairly steadily all morning it got progressively slower until dinnertime when the sun had burned off the last of the morning cloud and they became very finicky. A bit early to say I've discovered a feeding pattern but first light has seen them really on it  a few times already this season.


 

1 comment: