Sunday 22 June 2014

Longest Day


I always like to make the most of the longest day and make an early start. With an extended period of warm fine weather and low, clear water, I always feel that early mornings and fading evening light are likely to produce the best chance of a decent fish or two.

A pre dawn start and the excitement of visiting our new home for a driving lesson later in the day meant I didn’t sleep well, and consequently I was on the river bank before 3 am!

I was pleased with this moon shot – hand held and 140x zoom is rarely a good combination.

As daylight crept in a heavy mist rolled off the river, It was stunning watching the swans ghost in  and out of view.



It wasn’t until about 4.30 that the pike woke up and this lean double fish hit my jerk bait.
A few minutes later I was treated by the fantastic sight of a growing bow wave behind the lure as a bigger fish accelerated after a lure worked fast and shallow across the river. As I saw the wave I sped up slightly giving the fish a simple choice – breakfast or go hungry!
I had intended to go chasing perch in the evening but after an afternoon spent learning how to operate our new home with the current owners I was wiped out and decided to wait until Sunday. Hopefully by early next month we will no longer be land lubbers!

I dropped a perch of around 2lb earlier in the week in a new area. I love discovering new haunts for my target species and the excitement of exploring new water! If the perch won’t play tomorrow- I know where a chub or two live!

2 comments:

  1. Another great result buddy. The second Pike is a belter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In nice condition for this time of year - the first one must have been a late spawner and was very lean, the second has been on the munch and regained some of its condition.

    ReplyDelete