Monday 23 June 2014

Perch on Sunday

A lazy start on Sunday meant I only got to the river for about 9am and the sun was already blazing. Conditions didn't look great! As always location is important with the perch - they seem to move up and down the river far more than the other species - so I spent some time walking and looking. Eventually I spotted some fry scattering and hoped it was perch on the hunt causing the panic.
A quick hunt in the box produced a paddle tailed Fish Arrow that I thought might do the trick - a little bigger than the fry lining the margins, which is no bad thing - little point in being indistinguishable from a million other prey items!



It didn't take long to confirm the presence of my target.





 A morning filled with a dozen hard fighting fish like these meant I wasn't bothered about not finding any of the super-tankers. By 12 noon the sun was intense and  beat a hasty retreat to continue getting ready for the move.

Two nice double figure pike, another over 15lb and one over 25lb, several chub over 4lb and some nice perch completed a fantastic opening week for me! 



2 comments:

  1. Lovely colourful beautiful Perch bud and good average size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks bud, cracking fight in the fast shallow water and nice looking in their summer colours.

    ReplyDelete